January/February, 2012 Newsletter
52 YEARS AND COUNTING
I know many of you are wishing for Spring to arrive now that the Christmas and New Years celebrations have come and gone. I can agree with that, but we still have one more winter event to put behind us. It’s hard to believe this year marks our 52nd Annual Chain O’ Lakes Ice Fishing Derby and Winter Festival on February 11th & 12th.
Our 52nd Derby could not possibly happen if it weren’t for many of our N.I.C.C. members who volunteer their time and energy to make this a successful fundraiser. Preparations for ticket sponsors begin well before Halloween, when members contact businesses who are truly generous enough to underwrite the cost of running the derby. Then it’s time to solicit local businesses to place an ad in our information booklet or donate an item for our auction.
Committees are formed for auctions, kids and adult games, fish judging, raffles, ticket and food sales. Back by popular demand is our Shanty Contest! When auction items are collected, they go to the auction chairperson who places them in the right category. The committee chairs are hard at work in the fall.
A few days before the derby, the announcers trailer is brought from the club grounds by volunteers to headquarters at Thirsty Turtle on Channel Lake. Then the big top tent arrives. The energy starts to sore and you surely know, “it is that time of year again.”
If you have never joined us, please do so. Bring your family and friends to enjoy the good old-fashioned winter fun. There will be raffles and games for the children and adults both days. Weather permitting, there will be Chicken Poop Bingo on Sunday afternoon. This year fish judging and food will be inside the tent. Come watch the fishermen register their catch of the hour hoping to win a prize for the smallest or the largest fish. When you get hungry there’s plenty of good food at the Conservation Café. Don’t forget our children’s auction held on Sunday, February 12th at 3:00 pm. The adult auction is next followed by the main raffle.
In a few days you will be receiving raffle tickets. These tickets are selling for $3 a piece or 2 for $5. Remember, proceeds from this fundraiser helps defray our yearly expenses. Raffle ticket sales are one of the most important parts of the derby and is how we are able to give back to the community. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of tickets will go to the scholarship program. If you need additional raffle tickets to sell to your friends, co-workers, relatives or neighbors, please contact us via email or by calling 847-395-6422.
THE DERBY IS FEB. 11 & 12
We are in full swing for our 52nd Annual Ice Fishing Derby and Winter Festival. This is our main fund-raiser of the year. The board members and directors, hope we can count on you to give us a couple hours of your time to help make this derby the “Best Ever”. Headquarters at Thirsty Turtle on Channel Lake.
- where can i buy proscar uk TICKETS–We have cash prizes to be raffled off this year, $1,500, $500, and $300, so don’t forget to return your tickets as soon as possible.If you sell a pack of 48 tickets ($3 each or 2 for $5) you will receive a free one year membership for each set of 48 tickets sold. If you would like to receive more tickets, please call 84o7-395-6422.
- DERBY BOOKLET–The advertising book has become successful for the media portion of our derby. Ads can be put in for $25 a line (business or personal name). A business card size ad for $100. If you, or a business would like to place an ad in the booklet, please call Ken Golonka at 847-395-3087. Deadline is January 10th.
- AUCTION ITEMS–We are looking for auction items again this year. If you have something of interest for the adult or children’s auction please contact one of the board members.
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED–We are looking for volunteers to give us a helping hand on Saturday, February, 11th or Sunday, February 12th. Please contact one of the board members. We can use help with setup on Friday, February 10th and tear down on Monday, February 13h. If you are interested please call NICC at 847-395-6422.
Derby Meeting at NICC–Monday, Feb. 6, at 7 p.m. at the club house. If you are working at the Derby please attend this meeting to receive your instructions.
ICE SHANTY CONTEST
Here’s an opportunity to win $100. Enter our Ice Shanty Contest on Saturday, February 11th at headquarters. There will be two categories judged, best presentation & most creative One winner in each category will receive $100. Winner will be announced at headquarters on Sunday, February 12th prior to the auction at (approximately 2:30 pm).
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS
- Terence & Tracey Wold
- Nicholas & Emily Hauptmann
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- Jan. 9 Board/Derby Meeting………..7 p.m.
- Jan. 23 General Meeting………………7 p.m.
- Feb. 6 Derby Meeting…………………7 p.m.
- Feb. 11-12 DERBY TIME
- Feb. 27 General Meeting………………7 p.m.
- Mar. 12 Board Meeting………………..7 p.m.
- Mar. 26 General Meeting……………..7 p.m.